Rabbit Pose Sasangasana
I love this pose for opening my back and shoulders before and after paddling! The rabbit is an inverted yoga pose that gives your back a great stretch followed by elongation of your spine. With your spine long, the circulation of your blood will improve, allowing your nervous system to receive its proper nutrition. It also balances your hormones, stimulates your thyroid gland and improves your immune capacity. If you have a cold or congestion, this position is a great way to find relief.
1. Begin in child’s pose with arms by your side. Bring the crown of your head to the board and press your forehead slightly on your knees.
2. Extend your arms backward and hold on to the base of your feet. Hold your heels firm and exhale all the air out.
3. Inhale to lift your hips until you feel the sensation in your shoulders. Hold for 5 deep breaths.
Humble warrior is another favorite shoulder stretch! It really opens up the shoulder girdle and enhances its flexibility. The warrior position also opens the hip and strengthens the leg at the same time.
1. From Warrior one, bring your hands behind the back and interlace your fingers. Inhale as your rolls the shoulders back and lift the heart to the sky.
2. Exhale bow forward with your head and chest, dropping your belly to the inside of the front thigh.
3. Hold for 5 deep breaths. Be sure to keep your knee in line with your ankle.
More to come!