Welcome to Autumn! As a change in the seasons approaches, we want to take a moment to reflect on this past summer and show gratitude for all of the paddling we were able to partake in. We hope you enjoyed your summer to the fullest and got to spend lots of time on the water, connecting with nature and perfecting your paddle experience.
August was a blast for us and we are so proud of our SUP Yoga Teacher Training graduates! 16 amazing yogis from all over the US and Canada spent 4 days with our team learning about water safety, proper paddle technique, how to teach beginner SUP lessons, how to teach 3 different SUP Yoga classes and the business side of SUP Yoga. They all received our detailed teacher manual and goodies bags from our awesome sponsors: Roxy, Revo, Ocean Minded, SUP Company, and Luna Bar.
If you want to experience 4 fun-filled days on the water with us and receive 30 hours of Continuing Education credits from Yoga Alliance, join us on our next SUP Yoga Teacher Training, taking place October 23 – 26 at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina here in San Diego. You can email me personally for more information. We are offering a special early-bird pricing of $899 until the end of the month, so be sure to reserve your spot in this one-of-a-kind training before it sells out!
In other news, our lead instructor Gillian had a busy summer on the road full of paddle adventures! She wants to send a big THANK YOU to everyone who supported her 36 mile charity paddle on Cape Cod to raise money for Christopher’s Haven. Another highlight was getting to debut her brand new signature mermaid SUP board at the Outdoor Retail Market in Utah. Here is a photo of her in the pool teaching SUP Yoga in the new Outdoor Fitness clothing line from Roxy. Make sure to follow all of her adventures online!
Keep enjoying the beautiful fall paddling weather, and make sure to keep in touch with us! Tag us in your favorite paddling or SUP Yoga photo on facebook, or hashtag #paddlefitness on Instagram or Twitter. We will be picking a few of our most interactive online fans to receive an awesome swag bag full of PIF gear and other sponsor goodies.
Sending lots of love to all our fellow paddlers!
See you on the water,
Mandy Burstein, PIF Operations Manager
….and the rest of the Paddle Into Fitness team ♥
- 6 cups vegetable, mushroom or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Adjust heat to maintain a steady simmer.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the barley and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup hot broth at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed after each addition, adjusting the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until the barley is tender and creamy but still somewhat firm, 35 to 45 minutes. (You might not use all the broth.)
- Stir in arugula and cook, stirring, until it is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese, butter and vinegar. Season with pepper.